For the first time, Eurostat, the Statistical Office of the European Communities, has gathered the main available culture statistics comparable at a European level in a single publication.
The aim of the pocketbook is to set out the main cultural statistics comparable at European level. Selected tables and graphs describe different areas of the cultural field for the 27 EU Member States, the candidate countries and the EFTA countries: cultural heritage, cultural employment, enterprises in certain cultural sectors - publishing, architectural activities and cinema, external trade in cultural goods, households cultural expenditure, cultural participation and time spent on cultural activities.
The book, which is the first of its kind, is intentionally modest in scope and does not claim to be exhaustive. A short commentary on the data and methodological notes complete this initial snapshot of cultural statistics, mainly based on the findings of existing harmonised surveys and former work carried out within the European Statistical System.
- Economic indicators
- Cultural employment
- Enterprises in cultural sectors
- Publishing of books, newspapers, journals and periodicals
- Sound recordings sector
- Concentration in the publishing sector
- Architecture and engineering sector
- External trade in cultural goods
- Household cultural expenditure
- Cultural participation
- Time spent on cultural activities
- Data sources, classifications and definitions
A press release on the publication is available in English and in French and German at: