The Cultural Research Network (CRN) invites nominations to form its 2022-2023 Steering Committee.
The Cultural Research Network is an open resource-sharing community of practice for anyone involved in culture-related research.
Our network emphasises the practice and process of current research, and the opportunities to inform that active work among peers, academics, and fellow professionals. Our collaborative platform provides opportunities to explore project or professional connections, methodological challenges, technological innovations, standards and practices, and shared infrastructure.
The network includes arts and cultural researchers from government, academia and industry.
What we do
- Email List - the heart of the CRN: a listserv for sharing questions, insights, news, links, tips, and techniques related to cultural research. Steering committee members are encouraged to be active participants in this network.
- Virtual Study Groups - learning sessions in a webinar format featuring guest experts on emerging topics in cultural research; each year a steering committee member takes the lead in organising this work.
- Research Sharing - brand new research shared with the listserv on a monthly basis, with an international scope and a focus on members.
- Archives - CRN conversations dating from 2013: a repository of insight across the field.
The Cultural Research Network Steering Committee is a group of network members who are charged with:
- helping guide conversation and seed relevant discussion topics on the CRN
- raising visibility and enthusiasm for the CRN within their own professional circles
- list administration, list governance and oversight, and dispute mediation as necessary
- responding to partnership requests and opportunities on behalf of CRN with outside organisations, foundations, conferences, agencies, educational institutions and others.
The CRN is seeking to fill up to 5 positions to complement the expertise and experience of the existing membership of the Steering Committee. The Steering Committee meets monthly over video and is flexible in an effort to accommodate various time zones.
Currently, the committee would like to geographically expand the network to better represent the Global South, and is looking for nominations from South America, Africa, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific.
We are interested in nominations from researchers working across policy and funding contexts (e.g. investment and advisory bodies, arts centres), academia, and research consultants working with the arts and cultural sector.
Terms are staggered and last one year. There is a limit of two consecutive terms, after which a committee member needs to rotate off the steering committee for at least one full term.
Desired attributes and experience
- have an enthusiasm for arts and culture focussed research and evaluation
- lead an active cultural research practice, affiliation, or support system
- have a direct connection with other national arts collaborations and working groups, represent other data partners, or academics and researchers
- are active in professional networks that add to the breadth and scope of the Cultural Research Network
- are representative of the diversity of people, languages, and countries that reflect our global arts and culture research community
- add to the demographic and geographic diversity of the steering committee
- represent diversity in organisational function and in organisational structure (funders, arts organisations, individual, individual practitioners, etc), and represent a diversity of arts disciplines
Any current member of the CRN list can apply to join the steering committee by completing this form.
The Steering Committee will receive applications from Monday, 4 July - Monday, 25 July 2022. The existing Committee will select new members and send invitations to join the 2022-2023 Committee by Wednesday 3 August for terms that will begin in late August 2022.
For questions or more information contact Christen Cornell at [email protected].